Wednesday 10 September 2008

After Mass on Monday I had the opportunity of visiting the UK HQ of Hospices of Hope, which is in nearby Otford. I was given a tour of their plant, seen their Antique shop and sampled good coffee from their coffee shop. I am impressed by the dedication and work of the charity for those who need palliative care in Romania. At this stage we are hoping and praying that there might be some sort of partnering between the Charity and our Parish.
After Vespers Fr Mark and I went to St. Mary’s Swanley for the Sung Mass of their Patronal Festival. We had a wonderful homily from Canon Martin Warner. That evening was also the 30th birthday of the incumbent – Ad Multos Annos!
Tuesday started with a productive meeting with teachers from Sevenoaks County Primary School. We have set diaries and almost every Monday between now and Christmas I will be teaching RE to the Year 6 classes. I look forward to these sessions in which we are going to explore the Bible. A similar meeting is scheduled with the Year 6 teacher in our primary school with the hope of doing some RE teaching there too.
In the afternoon I went to Eltham crematorium where I took the funeral of Ed Haley. I met Ed at Sevenoaks hospital and came to know and appreciate this kind and loving man who accepted his terminal illness with Christian fortitude. He has a wonderful family and was much loved as was witnessed by the many people that came for his funeral.
In the evening Fr Higgs led the Credo 08 session in the Parish Hall, which sadly I had to miss. At the same time in London Fr Daniel Humphries was inducted as Vicar of St Matthew’s Willesden Green – many best wishes to Fr as he starts his ministry.
This morning after Mass a large funeral in church for Jason, a 23 year old who died in a traffic accident. After that I will be off to Ascot Priory for a conference of Incumbents whose livings are under the patronage of the Guild of All Souls. Please say a prayer for us as we assemble for this conference.

No comments: