Monday 1 December 2008

Lauds and Mass were followed by exposition of the Blessed Sacrament for Sacred Space. This done I was off to our school to teach RE to Years 5 and 6. Today we looked at the Parable of the Prodigal Son, or better still the Parable of the Loving Father. It is wonderful to see these young ones hearing, some of them for the first time, the parable. They really engaged and spoke about love and forgiveness in a way that truly edified this priest. This was followed by a pastoral visit, quick lunch and then off to the local county primary for RE lessons to the two Year 6 classes. The school is busy getting ready for their open afternoon and the children have worked really hard to set up great displays, one of them being a representation of a stained glass window showing the Nativity of Our Lord Jesus Christ.
With these classes I looked at the seven sacraments. We saw what a sacrament means and why there are seven. We looked briefly at each one and discussed them. It all ended with a quiz were very many scored full marks. Well done! I gave each one of them an Advent calendar and then went back to church to hear confessions and pray the Office of Readings and Vespers. Frances joined in for this and today rather then the Salve we sung the antiphon “Alma Redemptoris Mater” which is the proper Antiphon of Our Lady from Advent to Candlemass. Some other work needs to be done before I can stop and look forward to enjoy my day off tomorrow.
I hope that you are enjoying the early days of Advent, this year I am sharing it with St John of the Cross and Thomas Merton’s reflection on it. I am also looking forward for Thursday as I am off to Walsingham for my annual retreat which I share with a priest who is a dear and long standing friend of mine.
Here below is a picture of my wife Claudia busy cooking for two guests that we shall have this week. Two dishes are in the making one is Lasagne and the other a traditional Maltese one of baked macaroni with beef and tomato sauce called Timpana, both are healthy food with almost next to nothing in calories – now if you believe that…

No comments: