Tuesday 6 January 2009

A priest has ordered the removal of a crucifix because it makes people uncomfortable. Is a crucifix meant not to be? It is putting people off, we are told. But is it not meant to be a sign of contradiction?
I do not find the sculpture in question to have any devotional merit (the thing which makes Sacred Art for me) but I am concerned with the substance and not the accidents.
I think this minister is symptomatic of the general illness that has taken hold of the CofE. While Jesus Christ is cuddly and fluffy like a nice teddy bear its ok. But when Jesus and his teaching become challenging, and they are since it is all about the cross in which alone we can find joy, the thing done is to hide Jesus and accommodate the spirit of this passing and confused age.
What an opportunity missed of explaining to passers by that this is how much Jesus loves us. Instead let us tone it down and make sure we do not make any one uncomfortable. Anyway who am I to question the authority of his DAC?

This sad episode encourages me to encourage people to keep a crucifix in their homes. I know of special crucifixes called "il crocifisso della buona morte" - the crucifix of a holy death. Below a picture of my version. It is kept near one's bed so that when that holy momenet comes and it is time to go one can die holding the sign of faith and hope and love.

In the pierced heart of the Crucified, God's own heart is opened up--here we see who God is and what he is like. Heaven is no longer locked up. God has stepped out of hiddenness. ~Pope Benedict XVI

1 comment:

The Archer of the Forest said...

How very bizarre...and saddening. Granted its not the finest piece of artwork I have ever seen, but considering its from the 1960s, it could be a lot worse.

I agree with what you say though, the crucifixion is horrifying and disturbing. Call me a slow learner, but that seems to me to be the whole point.